When the US Congress passed the 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act amendments, the US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) was given the mandate to require each community water system to provide each of its customers with a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) every 12 months.
A CCR is a report on the quality of drinking water supplied by the utility. The report contains information on the quality of water delivered by Carson City Utilities and characterizes risks from exposure to contaminants in the drinking water in an accurate and understandable manner.
The CCR is an exercise in communication with lay customers--not a report with great technical precision. Definitions have been simplified. Data requirements have been limited.
The basic elements of the CCR include the following:
- Information on the source of the water purveyed
- Information on any source water assessment
- Definitions of technical terms
- Levels of detected contaminants
- Violations of MCLs and specific language about potential adverse health effects associated with these violations
- Violations of any aspect of the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations and specific language about potential adverse health effects associated with these violations
- Information about any variance or exemption under which the water system is operating
- Health effects language for nitrate, lead, or arsenic if detected at 50 percent of the MCL or Action Level
- A brief explanation about contaminants that consumers may reasonably expect to find in drinking water, including bottled water
- Telephone number for the water system
- Notice in languages other than English
- Notice of opportunities for public participation
- Additional information required by the State
- Required language regarding vulnerable populations
Utility customers will receive a copy by mail and department personnel will hand deliver fliers to apartment buildings, mobile home parks and gated communities annually.
The water provided by Carson City Water Utility meets or exceeds established water quality standards and is committed to providing residents with a safe and reliable supply of high quality drinking water.