Frank B. Gregory served one term as D.A. before losing by 21 votes to Richard L. Waters, Jr. in the 1946 election. After this hard-fought election, he went on to serve as district judge of the First Judicial District Court, which at that time covered Ormsby, Lyon, Churchill, Douglas and Storey counties. Judge Gregory was joined on the bench by Richard Waters from 1961, when the judicial district was reorganized and a second judgeship was created by the state Legislature. They shared judicial duties until Judge Waters' death in December 1973. Courthouse historians say the two gentlemen didn't like each other much, and the one unfortunate secretary who reported to both of them was driven to distraction figuring out whose letters and orders had priority.