If you wake in bed with smoke in the room:
- Roll out of bed.
- Stay low and crawl to the door. Smokes fills a room from the ceiling down.
- Test the door with the back of your hand.
- If the door is hot, go to another exit.
- If the door is cool, open it slowly and go to your meeting place outside the home.
- Use your neighbor's phone and call for help (DIAL 911).
- Do not go back in your home. You may be seriously injured.
Follow the same rules and include the following: Take the stairs when exiting. Close the door behind you and take your keys. Do not use the elevator. Elevators may open at a floor on fire or stop working, trapping you inside.
If You Are Trapped Inside Your Apartment
- Close the doors between you and the fire.
- Stop up cracks and vents to keep smoke out.
- Put a wet cloth over your nose and wait at a window.
- Phone the fire department, DIAL 911.
- If unable to reach a phone, signal for help with a sheet or flashlight.
If Your Clothes Catch Fire
- STOP - Do not run. It will fan the flames, making them bigger.
- DROP - To the Ground or floor immediately and cover your face with your hands.
- ROLL - Over back and forth to smother the flames.
Emergency Phone Procedure
- DIAL 911.
- Ask for the service you want:
- Give your address.
- Give your room number and floor.
- Give your name.
- Give the type of emergency.
- Don't hang up until the emergency operator finishes talking to you!
- Give your phone number.