This information is designed to inform you of the procedures for the Carson City Juvenile Probation Department subsequent to your child’s arrest or referral.
After your child has been arrested/referred for a status offense (runaway, incorrigible, curfew) or a simple misdemeanor offense you can expect the following to take place:
1. Your child’s paperwork will be processed within the business week, after the arrest/referral took place.
2. Approximately 3 weeks after the arrest/referral you will receive a letter from the assigned probation officer requesting a meeting with you and your child. This is an informal meeting and is an alternative to Court intervention. Should your child admit to the offense(s), a consequence(s) may be imposed. If your child chooses to deny the offense, the case will be reviewed with the District Attorney and the Senior Probation Officer to determine if formal charges will be filed.
3. If formal charges are filed, refer to the “Formal Process” below.
After your child has been arrested/referred for a misdemeanor (in some cases), a gross misdemeanor, or a felony offense, you can expect the following to take place:
1. Your child’s case will be reviewed by the Senior Probation Officer and the District Attorney to determine whether a Petition (formal charges) will be filed for Forman Court Proceedings.
2. Upon filing of a Petition, you will be advised by mail of the charged offense, initial court appearance (Arraignment), and the Probation Officer assigned to your child’s case. This will occur approximately 4 weeks from the time of the arrest/referral.
Should you have any questions concerning your child’s arrest/referral please contact the Juvenile Court at 775-887-2038 or the Probation Department at 775-887-2033.