A big thank you to everyone that responded to our survey about downtown retail stores and restaurants. With over 450 responses, we have a significant amount of data to report. See the results below including some selected comments.
If you are wondering "What's Next?", our next steps will include developing recruitment materials, creating a webpage/website and coordinating our efforts with local commercial real estate professionals and stakeholder organizations.
Our first chart shows the results of the first question: independently owned stores versus national chains. By a 2 to 1 margin, you have clearly chosen independently owned stores. The comments also backed this up with many suggestions for family-oriented businesses, more events, a desire to see existing vacancies filled, more public art and a main focus on maintaining a historic feel and local charm. Overall, the community is looking forward to more change in our downtown.
Our second chart shows the results of the retail store question. The responses to this question offered a desire to have more of the same (we have 2 book stores, many gift stores and a gaming store) and some new types of stores (specialty food and women's apparel). From the comments, folks are looking for a variety of shops that would appeal to locals as well as visitors. Venues related to the arts and active living were mentioned often.
The third chart shows the results of the restaurant question. With the top three answers, most responders are voting with their pocketbooks, yet many comments focused on healthy, affordable and family-friendly dining. Some suggestions for new restaurants focused on bringing concepts from other parts of Northern Nevada. Frequent mentions in the comments were: ice cream shop, bagel shop, brewery as well as some regional/national chain options.
- It is very important that we are all on the same page.
- I think you need to provide the option of choosing BOTH Mom/Pop indy retail plus a limited array of national retailers.
- Don't duplicate business types that already exist in downtown
- no attorneys/ govt offices on Carson Street
- Focus should be on business that create more than 1 job (like a solo shopkeeper)
- Can we please get a brewery in the old brewery location?
- increase parking for short distance walk
- Fun restaurants. Tapas, look at Midtown
- nice movie theater or some sort of entertainment would be nice for day time and night life
- Clean, professional tattoo business with several regulations to keep them that way.
- Keep new businesses at mid-range prices for our citizens here in Carson. Otherwise, they won't go downtown.