Waste Management Franchise Agreement
Information on the new Waste Management of Nevada - Collection Services Franchise Agreement.
For further information, please contact Waste Management at (775) 343-7596, visit their website at https://home.wm.com/carson-city or visit them at 5560 Sheep Drive, Carson City.
Timeline and other information
• November 2017: The City hired the consulting firm of Sloan Vazquez McAffee (SVM) to assist in the development of an RFP for solid waste and recyclable materials franchise agreement. SVM would also assist in soliciting public input and conducting public meetings to gather input as to what should be included into the new agreement. SVM developed a questionnaire to stimulate feedback from current and potential residential and commercial customers from within Carson City. The City hosted the questionnaire on the City's website so that the questionnaire could be completed and submitted directly from this site. SVM also established an email address specifically for individuals to request a questionnaire, submit a completed questionnaire, or to provide unscripted input. Questionnaires were also made available for pick-up at the Public Works Department.
• February and March 2018: Five public meetings were held in order to meet with the public, engage in an open discussion, and collect additional input. The public meeting dates and times and a request to complete a questionnaire were advertised via a note on all water bills, via social media (Facebook, Twitter), communications to the Carson City Chamber of Commerce, communications to the Downtown Business Association, on CarsonNow.org, within specific articles and the opinion section of the Nevada Appeal, and a specific advertisement in the Sunday edition of the Nevada Appeal prior to each public meeting. A total of 475 completed questionnaires were received plus other unscripted comments via email and phone message. During this period, potential bidders and other interested local haulers have been solicited to get their input. Survey Results
• April, 5, 2018: the Board received recommendations for specific items to be included in the Request for Proposals. The Board provided direction for the inclusion of the following items: 1) franchised residential and commercial services; 2) construction and demolition service would be exempt from the franchise; 3) mandatory residential service would be picked up on a weekly basis with exemption for residents that can prove regular use of the landfill; 4) provide costs for both regular carts and wildlife-proof carts for all customers on mandatory service; 5) automated single-stream recycling service would be picked-up on a bi-weekly basis; 6) provide fee-based commercial recycling that incentivizes participation; and 7) include possible options for the collection and disposal of yard waste which would accommodate seasonal changes. View Board packet (see item 20A) View meeting minutes or listen to audio Watch meeting webcast
• June 21, 2018: The Board provided direction for staff to issue the RFP for Solid Waste and Recyclable Materials Collection Services and draft an agreement to include residential and commercial service, mandatory residential service, automated trash and single-stream recycling service, and options for yard waste services. View Board packet (see item 18G) View meeting minutes or listen to audio Watch meeting webcast
• June 26, 2018: A Request for Proposals (RFP) was published seeking vendors to provide solid waste and recyclable materials franchise collection services.
• August 21, 2018-October 2018: Five proposals were received on August 21, 2018. The evaluation committee reviewed each proposer's background, experience, and proposal. Staff recommended moving forward with Waste Management of Nevada for solid waste and recyclable materials franchise collection services because Waste Management of Nevada had proposed the best value for collection services in response to the RFP.
• November 1, 2018: The Board directed staff to enter into negotiations with Waste Management of Nevada for solid waste and recyclable materials exclusive franchise collection services. View Board packet (see item 25A) View meeting minutes or listen to audio Watch meeting webcast
• December 20, 2018: The Board approved Contract No. 1819-041 for a new Collection Services Franchise Agreement with Waste Management of Nevada (WM) for a 15-year term with the option of a two-year extension, with provisions establishing the maximum service rates and a rate adjustment methodology for customers, and a franchise fee payable by WM to the City in a not to exceed amount of 8 percent of WM's gross receipts net of surcharge fees billed each month. View Board packet (see item 23A) View meeting minutes or listen to audio Watch meeting webcast Executed Contract