COVID- 19: For Health and Human Services Updates CLICK HERE.   

Parks and Recreation Commission

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Parks and Recreation Commission consists of nine members who are interviewed and appointed by the Board of Supervisors.  One member is a member of the Board of Supervisors and one is a member of the Board of Trustees from the Carson City School District.  The remaining members shall be qualified electors of Carson City and appointed, where possible, from a diverse cross-section of the community.  Four year terms expire on January 1. 

The Committee meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. in the Sierra Room at the Carson City Community Center.  The responsible staff coordinator is Roger Moellendorf, Parks and Recreation Department Director.


The Parks and Recreation Commission regulates the use of City Parks and Recreation Facilities and protects the right of all Carson City residents to enjoy the parks system and Recreation Services.

Typical Duties

  • The commission shall act in advisory capacity to the Board of Supervisors.
  • The commission shall cooperate with other governmental agencies and civic groups in the advancement of sound recreation planning.
  • The commission shall:
     a. Recommend policies on park and recreation services;
     b. Advise on acquisition and development of park and recreation areas and facilities;
     c. Aid in coordinating park and recreation services with the programs of other governmental   agencies and voluntary organizations;
     d. Aid and advise the fair and recreation board;
     e. Make recommendations to the board on acceptance of bequests of real property, equipment and moneys for park and recreation purposes;
     f. Review and make recommendations concerning the park and recreation department’s capital budgets; and
     g. Review and make recommendations to the board concerning the acceptance and spending of the residential construction tax.

Administrative services for the Parks & Recreation Commission are provided by the Parks and Recreation Department which can be reached at (775) 887-2262.