COVID- 19: For Health and Human Services Updates CLICK HERE.   

Justice/Municipal Court Clerk

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Principal Functions:

The Carson City Justice and Municipal Court is statutorily limited in jurisdiction. It has authority to determine probable cause, hold arraignments/first appearances, and conduct trials on misdemeanors, Driving Under the Influence (DUI’s) and traffic offenses. In addition, the Court sets bails, issues warrants, monitors suspended sentences for compliance of conditions and conducts felony preliminary hearings.

The Court is responsible for assessing misdemeanor fines and forfeitures and collecting civil fees. The Court has authority to hear and decide small claim disputes up to $7,500 and formal civil actions up to $10,000. The Court hears all landlord/tenant disputes; issues temporary protective orders, stalking orders and other civil orders; and holds hearings on contested cases.


News and Notifications

Admin Order Juvenile COVID-19 - 4-15-20

Administrative Order COVID-19 - 4/1/20 

Carson City Justice & Municipal Court Press Release - 03/23/20 

Administrative Order COVID-19 - 3/20/20

Administrative Order COVID-19 - 3/16/20

Administrative Order Juvenile COVID-19 - 3/16/20

SCAM INFORMATION ALERT:  If you receive an email or telephone call claiming that you owe money or need to pay money from the Carson City Justice/Municipal Court consider it to be fraudulent.  

DO NOT GIVE CALLERS your personal information.  Hang up.  If you are in doubt of whether or not you have a court matter, call the Justice Court Clerk's Office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., (Effective Monday March 23, 2020 office hours will be changing to 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday at (775)  


Please visit the Carson City Sheriff's Office new Inmate Portal!  



Payment of Court Fines and Fees:  The Fines and Fees Office handles all payments of citations including traffic and court fines. You may pay your fine in person, by mail, or by credit/debit card. The Payment Center’s address is 885 East Musser Street, Suite 2003, Carson City, Nevada 89701. It is located on the second floor of the Carson City Courthouse. If you have any questions regarding your payment, please call the Fines and Fees Office at (775) 887-2064.  To make an online payment click here.


Traffic Citations and Continuances:
  Traffic court is held Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 1:15 p.m. There is a mandatory appearance for all citations involving child restraints, traffic accidents, property damage, driving on a no valid, suspended, or revoked driver’s license. You must appear on the date and time on your citation. At traffic court you are advised of your rights and the charges against you. If you plead “guilty” or “nolo contendere” (no contest), a sentence will be imposed at that time. If you plead not guilty, the matter will be set for a pretrial conference with the District Attorney’s Office immediately following your arraignment. If you have been involved in an accident and enter a plea of not guilty, your case will be set for trial. If you are charged with no insurance, unregistered vehicle, or no valid driver’s license and you now have the required documentation, be prepared to present it to the Court. If you are unable to appear in Court on the date and time indicated on your ticket, you may request a continuance over the phone. Failure to appear or pay your citation may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. Additionally, your driver’s license may be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Click *here to view a 4 1/2 minute video for general information on Traffic cases.  This video is shown at the Courthouse prior to entering Traffic Court.

*You must have high speed internet access to view this video.

Justice and Municipal Court Clerk's Office
885 E. Musser Street, Suite 2007 (2nd Floor)
Carson City, Nevada  89701
(775) 887-2121

For a map to the Courthouse click here.


Traffic Safety School:  Traffic Safety School is available for Nevada licensed drivers, once in a 12 month period, if the citation you received did not involve an accident, and the demerits for the charge is 4 points or less. 

Upon receiving a Certificate of Completion for participating in traffic school, the Court will adjust your violation to non moving which keeps demerit points from being reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

For a list of certified traffic safety schools you may contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at, or the Court at (775) 887-2121. 

If you live in another state and you received your citation in Carson City you are required by the Court to take a Nevada certified traffic school.  You must contact the Court prior to paying your citation if you want to attend traffic school and avoid demerits being reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state where you reside.

For additional Traffic School information please click here.

*Please note Commercial License holders are not eligible to participate in the Carson City Justice Court traffic school program.  You may contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles for information regarding their traffic school program information.

If you need information regarding demerit points on your driver's license please contact DMV as the Court does not retain that information.

Back to Approved Court Classes


Driving Under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs:  If you have been arrested for Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and/or Drugs, you will be given a court date on a Wednesday morning or afternoon. There are three things that may happen at that time: Arraignment, Sentencing, or Pretrial Conference. At an arraignment you are advised of your rights and the charges against you. At this time you will inform the Court if you have hired an attorney. If you are unable to afford an attorney, the Court may appoint one to represent you. You have the right to have an attorney during all stages of the proceedings. If you plead guilty or nolo contendere (no contest), you may be sentenced at that time or you may be rescheduled for sentencing depending on several factors. You will be advised of your blood alcohol level at your arraignment. If you plead not guilty, the matter will be set for a pretrial conference with the District Attorney’s Office. You must attend all court hearings or a warrant will be issued for your arrest.


Court Appearances for those being held in jail:  Arraignments and first appearances for those who are charged with crimes and are still being held in jail are done via closed-circuit television Monday through Friday. The Judge is in the courtroom and the defendant participates from the jail. These proceedings are open to the public and if you wish to observe, you may do so in the courtroom. Amounts and conditions of bail are also addressed at this time.


All other court appearances for criminal charges or citations:  If you have been charged with a crime other than traffic or DUI, you have been given a date for arraignment on a Tuesday morning at 9:30 a.m. At an arraignment, you are advised of the charges against you and your rights. On a misdemeanor charge you will enter a plea. If you plead guilty or nolo contendere (no contest), the Judge may impose a sentence at that time. If you plead not guilty, the matter will be set for a pretrial conference or trial. On a felony charge, a preliminary hearing will be scheduled and you will not enter a plea.


Warrants:  If you fail to appear for a scheduled court date or pay a fine as ordered, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. If you are arrested, a cash bail must be posted. If bail is not posted, you will remain in custody and be brought before a Judge within 72 hours (excluding holidays and weekends) for further action.


Backgrounds/Records Checks:  The Court does not do background or records checks over the telephone. You must make your request in writing and include the individual’s names and years you wish to have searched. You must also include a check or money order for $1.00 per name per year to be researched.


Temporary Protective Orders:  To apply for a temporary protective order against domestic violence or stalking/harassment, you must come to the Court. Advocates to End Domestic Violence has an office on the third floor of the Courthouse and will assist you in completing the application. The Advocates are also available at 884-1886 and after regular hours at (775) 883-7654. To qualify for a domestic violence protective order you must:

a. Have been a victim of or been threatened with domestic violence; and
b. Be related to the defendant by blood or marriage; or
c. Have a child in common with the defendant; or
d. Have resided or had a dating relationship with the defendant.

For a stalking and/or harassment protective order there must be a continuing course of conduct of reckless behavior by the defendant, and

a. You must feel terrorized or fear for your safety, and
b. There must be more than one incident.

A Judge will review your application and issue a 45 day temporary order for just cause.


Small Claims Information:  If you feel that someone owes you money or has collected money from you unfairly, you may wish to file in Small Claims Court. The amount cannot exceed $10,000. The law requires that prior to filing a claim, you must make a demand for payment from the person who owes you money. If they fail to pay you, you may then file your claim. To file a claim in Carson City Justice Court, the person your claim is against must reside, be employed, or have a business in Carson City. To obtain forms and information for filing, you may pick them up in person or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Court. The form is also available on our Forms page.

The filing fees, including service are (Effective January 1, 2017):

For claims up to $1,000, the fee is $111.00
For $1,000.01 - $2,500 the fee is $131.00 
For $2,500.01 - $5,000 the fee is $151.00
For $5,000.01 - $7,500 the fee is $191.00
For $7,500.01 - $10,000 the fee is $241.00

Once you file the claim and pay the filing fees, the matter will be set for hearing before a Small Claims Referee. The hearing usually occurs within approximately 30 days of filing.


Eviction Information:  The court has forms available for three types of summary evictions. These are: 1) 5 day nonpayment of rent; 2) 5 day failure to perform conditions of rental agreement; 3) no cause notice to quit. The notice must be filed with the Justice Court prior to serving on the tenant. The cost of filing of the notice is $71.00. For further information regarding procedures please contact the Justice Court at (775) 887-2121. The above notices are also available on the forms page.


Complaint and Summons:  If you have been served with a summons and complaint, you have twenty days from the day you are served to file your defense with the Court. The answer should be filed in proper legal form. The Clerks cannot provide you with forms or legal assistance. You may wish to consult with an attorney. If you believe you owe the amount claimed, you may contact the attorney for the plaintiff to make arrangements for payment.


Marriages:  Marriages are performed on Saturday's at 11:00 a.m.  The cost of a marriage is $75.00 - CASH ONLY. You must bring a valid marriage license and provide your own witness or interpreter as needed.  


Back to the top