• By Albert Depew

Victim Services Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Why Restitution?

Carson City Department of Juvenile Services believes that juvenile offenders need to do something positive for the victim and the community to make up for their offenses. These positive acts can help the juveniles regain their self-respect and develop respect for other people and their property.

What Happens?

Each juvenile required to participate in the program will meet with a Juvenile Probation Officer to determine the type of restitution, including one or more of the following:

• Apologize to the victim

• Make monetary restitution to the victim

• Perform community service

• Be placed under court ordered probation supervision

Who is Referred?

Any Carson City or Storey County juvenile who commits a property or personal injury offense may be required to participate in the program.

What if I am a Victim but Do Not Want Restitution?

One of the most significant rights of crime victims is the right to submit victim impact statements. Impact statements provide victims with a voice that should be heard by the courts as well as probation. They are a valuable tool in determining appropriate sentences for convicted offenders. A victim may also personally appear in court and be heard.

If you are a victim of a crime in which a juvenile offender has been allegedly involved, please visit our office and speak with the on-call officer.