• By Albert Depew

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How can we assist

 Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are several of the frequently asked questions that the Carson City Sheriff's Office receives regularly.  If you do not find your question here, contact us and we will answer it for you.

1. Where do I go to file a complaint/report?

There are a few ways to file a report.  If it is an emergency dial 911 on your phone. If you would like a deputy to come to you and it is not an emergency, you can call dispatch and request a deputy at 887-COPS (2677). You can also come to the Sheriff's Office (911 E Musser), and file a complaint/report with the front counter service technician.

If you come to the Sheriff's Office after front counter hours, you can pick up the brown telephone in the lobby for assistance. This phone rings directly into dispatch non-emergency. Carson City Sheriff's Office does not accept complaints/reports via the telephone, mail, or Internet.  In order to file a complaint/report you must fill out a statement form and hand it in personally.

2. How do I request a copy of a report?

To request a copy of your report you must either call CCSO and request a copy, or you must come into CCSO (911 E Musser St.) during business hours (see question 3) and request a copy in person. Report requests usually take 3 to 5 business days to process and each copy cost is $5.00. see Fees and Permits 

3. What are the Sheriff's Department business hours?

The Patrol, Detention and Communications Departments operate:
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The front counter hours are:
Monday through Friday -- 8:00am - 5:00pm
Excluding weekends and holidays.

The Civil, Records, Administration, and Detective Divisions hours are:
Monday through Friday -- 8:00am - 5:00pm

The fingerprinting/workcard/concealed weapon desk hours are:
Monday through Friday -- 8:30am - 4:00pm

With the exception of Patrol, Detention, and Communications, most divisions are closed on holidays.

4. When can I get fingerprints?

You can be fingerprinted Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm.  For additional information, please see Civil

5. When can I get a work card?

CCSO processes work cards on Monday through Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm.

6. When can I register as an ex-felon/sex offender?

CCSO processes ex-felons and sex offenders Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm.

7. When can I visit an inmate in the detention center?

By appointment only
To make an appointment to visit inmates call 775.283.4777 on Thursdays between the hours of
9:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.

Visitors need to have a valid Drivers License or ID and they must be on the inmates visitors list.

8. Where do I get a restraining order?

You can apply for a restraining order at the Carson City Justice Court. The Justice Court is located on the 2nd floor of the Court House, located at 885 E. Musser St.  If the Court orders a restraining order, you need to bring the restraining order to CCSO Civil Division for process and service.

If the address of the adverse party is not in Carson City, CCSO cannot serve the restraining order. You will need to take the order to the Sheriff's Department with jurisdiction over the address of the adverse party.

9. How do I file a complaint against a Deputy or other member of the Sheriff's Office?

Formal complaints made against a member of the Carson City Sheriff's Office must be made in writing.  In order to accomplish this, it is preferred and recommended that you come to the front counter of the Sheriff's Office during normal business hours to complete a complaint form.  If this is not possible, please contact 887-2677 (COPS) and request to meet the Watch Commander, or email the Sheriff directly. to make other arrangements for submitting your complaint.  Once a complaint is received, it is then forwarded to the appropriate division supervisor for investigation.

10. How do I dispose of explosive devices? 

Please do not deliver explosive devices for disposal to the Sheriff’s Office. To properly dispose explosive devices call dispatch at (775) 887-COPS (2677) or for emergencies call 9-1-1 and assistance will be provided.

Back to Sheriff's Office Home Page